Monday, June 9, 2008

Racing

Some of you know that I am a Nascar fan. I'm not a huge fan. I've never even been to a Sprint Cup race. But, I do follow the racing somewhat. We have been to Kentucky Speedway to see the Busch Series race twice (now known as the Nationwide Series). We have also been to several other tracks to see some racing, including Myrtle Beach Speedway, Winchester Speedway, Shadybowl Speedway, Eldora Speedway, Indianapolis and O'Reilly.
In October, 2004, I had the drive of a lifetime, when I strapped into a 600 horsepower racecar at Kentucky Speedway, driving for Dale Jarrett Racing Adventure. Here, in my own words, is the experience as I recalled it.
Local Man Takes Drive of a Lifetime
By: Lowell J. Lavy
Most mornings when I get up, I get into my black ‘97 Geo Metro and head for work at Wholesale Carpet Outlet in Gettysburg. I pull out onto Rt. 127, push the accelerator to the floor, and in just a few short minutes I am up to my cruising speed of 55 mph. On Oct. 9, 2004, however, it was an entirely different situation. I had signed up to race at the Kentucky Speedway with Dale Jarrett Racing Adventures.

When I was much younger, my brother owned a 1967 GTO, and one time we went extremely fast. I don’t know if there is a statute of limitations on speeding so I won’t get any more specific than that. Besides, my dad may be reading this. One thing is certain- that Goat could move! However, this did not prepare me for what was about to happen.

Kentucky Speedway is located about forty miles from Cincinnati on I-71, near Sparta, Ky. The 1.5-mile tri-oval hosts several races each year, including the Nascar Busch Series in June. It is situated in rolling hills on a one thousand acre plot, ninety-seven of which are located in the infield.

On Saturday, Oct. 9, after spending the night at my daughters’ apartment in Erlanger, Ky., we drove to the track. After arriving at about 7:30 A.M., I registered, and then I had to be at the drivers’ meeting at 8:00. Here, they went over the track layout, introduced us to our spotters (who would actually be riding with us), and went over the rules. They kept it interesting and humorous, even getting one of the participants to admit to being a Jeff Gordon fan. They assured him it was something he would grow out of.

Immediately after class, we were instructed to go to pit road. There, eight cars were lined up – seven Tauruses and one Monte Carlo. Everyone had to take a van ride around the track for several laps so that the acceleration and deceleration points could be identified. Then, it was back to pit road to wait my turn.

There were thirty-nine drivers that morning, and I was about two thirds of the way down the list. As it got closer to my turn, I got into my fire suit and was fitted with a Hutchins device—a safety apparatus to keep your head from being tossed around in case of an accident. After selecting a helmet from the pit wall, I was ready!

When there were just a few drivers left before my turn, they put the number of the car I would be driving beside my name. It was the 7 car, a blue and white Monte Carlo. Soon it was my turn, and I made my way across pit road to the racecar. It was easier than I expected to slide into the fifteen-inch window opening and down into the racing seat. They buckled me in tightly so that I could barely move my body or head. After popping the steering wheel in place, they fired up the 600+ horsepower engine. On command from my spotter, I put it in gear and soon we were rolling down the 2800-foot pit road, at about 55 mph. A left turn at the end put us on a narrow entrance road, and when we got around the curve we were out on the apron of the backstretch. I quickly accelerated and my spotter instructed me to go up onto the 70-foot wide racing surface. Then it was through turns 3 and 4, and onto the 1662-foot front straightaway through the tri-oval to take the green flag for ten racing laps.

I was off the gas as instructed at turn 1, then down to turn 2 and back on the gas, down the 1600-foot backstretch, and then once again into turns 3 and 4, which are banked at 14 degrees. Then it was down the front straightaway and across the finish line to begin lap two.

According to the telemetry information provided to me on CD, my top speed was 139.5 mph. They told us that the record for holding your breath at Kentucky Speedway was six laps; I may have been close to that. Fortunately, there were only four or five cars at a time on the track, so there was not a lot of close racing. It is also fortunate that I am forty-five years old, and too old to change professions, because that is a lot of fun! This was real white-knuckle, heart-racing action, and I’ll never forget the experience. Tomorrow, I think I’ll climb in the window of my Geo and see if it will do any better!
I have changed jobs since then, and I am now happily employed at Creative Carpets in Greenville. Coincidentally, my boss, Jack Curry, also participated in the racing adventure at Kentucky. Brent, Danette and Jason joined me for a racecar driving experience at Myrtle Beach Speedway, last year on vacation. That was a nice drive around a one-half mile track.
Thanks for reading. See you next time.

4 comments:

Dani said...

That was a fun day..even though I was just a "fan" :)

Regi said...

Yeah, and I forgot that you got the only Monte Carlo out there. I remember that you really like that car!

Anonymous said...

Great descriptive story! Have fun at the Nationwide race! Too bad Jeff Gordon won't be driving!!!! Grin! Jason

Dani said...

Now why would we want to ruin a perfectly good race by having Gordon be in it???