Saturday, March 8, 2008

Fishing

Grandma Lavy and I were the only survivors of the boating accident that took place on Painter Creek many years ago. We were on board a fishing craft that was trying to dock. When it sank, we were able to save ourselves by flopping around in the six-inch deep water until we could get to our feet. Actually, no one else was on board the USS Lavy for that expedition. We sailed on the creek behind Grandpa's house in search of the great carp that live in those waters.

When I was about twelve, G and G Lavy and I went to supper at Gene and Mary Shields' house. Somehow the conversation got around to their Florida fishing trips, and Mary invited me to go with them. Fortunately, Grandpa loved to travel, so it was fairly easy to get him in the mood. For several years after that, we went to Ft. Myers, Florida yearly in February.

Fishing in the Gulf of Mexico is slightly different than Painter Creek fishing. We would fish in 50-60 feet of water, bouncing our shrimp-baited hooks off the bottom as we drifted. When a grouper, sheephead or red snapper hit, you had your work cut out for you pulling him to the surface. It was a great feeling to land them in the boat. On the way back to the marina, Gene would pull over to an island where he would fillet the fish and throw the scraps to the pelicans.

A few times we would tie up at an island, jump out of the boat and fish while wading in the surf. One of the most memorable times was when Bill Kuhnle and I stood next to each other in the surf while fishing for snook. I hooked a nice one and reeled him in. I think it was about a 24-inch fish. Those silver fish with a black stripe down the side are among the most delicious salt-water fish I've ever tasted (you should try a fried fish feast prepared by a pro like Mary Shields after an all-day fishing trip).

My fish looked like something out of Painter Creek next to the one Bill brought in right beside me. It was thirty-six inches long and I could put my fist in its mouth. Then, it was back in the boat and in to Four Winds Marina. Perhaps that night we had some blowfish and sheephead livers to add to the snook and snapper. What a feast it was!

Thanks, Grandpa, for taking me to Florida in February and providing me with some great memories. I came back to school with a suntan in the middle of winter. Gene and Mary are gone now, I believe. They were a big part of those memories, also.

6 comments:

Dani said...

Cool Dont think I have ever heard those stories

Regi said...

I remember the fishing stories and i think they used to drive a weird colored Mercedes?? Like yellow or something? Anyway, I do remember you guys always being goofy about the boat in your creek. If it was only 6 inches how come the boat didn't bottom out?

LJL said...

Yep, that was their car. The creek was 3 feet deep some places. Merrill built the boat and it was only about one foot deep. He and I sailed down the Greenville Creek with it once and we sunk it when we hit a limb. I saved my sack lunch from drowning while his squirrel rifle went to the bottom!

Paul and Candy said...

Lowell
You need to write about our trip to Indiana to play softball and basketball...Remember the traffic jamb and we got outside and practiced right along interstate...

You could probably right about 4 paragraphs about that exciting trip..

Paul

Regi said...

I even remember that one, Paul. I think it was hot, right? Seems like it.

Dani said...

Ok, I definitely remember that trip to play softball and throwing the ball back and forth on the side of the highway Must have been a sight :)