Saturday, April 19, 2008

From The Hymnal

I am confident I am as guilty as anyone else, but recently I thought of how easy it is to listen to hymns without really paying attention to the words. I think I was watching David Phelps singing the following hymn when I was reminded of that fact. Would you read or sing these words with me and remind yourself to really comprehend the message?


There is a fountain filled with blood

Drawn from Immanuel's veins

And sinners plunged beneath that flood

Lose all their guilty stains

The dying thief rejoiced to see

That fountain in his day

And there may I though vile as he

Wash all my sins away

Dear dying Lamb,Thy precious blood

Shall never lose its power

'Til all the ransomed Church of God

Be saved to sin no more

E'er since by faith, I saw the stream

Thy flowing wounds supply

Redeeming love has been my theme

And shall be 'til I die

Then in a nobler, sweeter song

I'll sing Thy power to save

When this poor, lisping, stamm'ring tongue

Lies silent in the grave


There are a hundred other songs with just as powerful a message as that. If you are like me, you have heard them repeatedly at church. Once in a while, the message just jumps out at you in a wonderful way. If you would like, leave a comment and a favorite song title that you may recall from years ago...or from yesterday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good reminder! A favorite of mine is And Can It Be?!!! What great words especially the part about "my chains falling off!" Jason

Regi said...

Hm...I really like Arise My Soul Arise.

Anonymous said...

My favorite is "Great Is Thy Faithfulness".