Friday, April 11, 2008

Remax

On April 8, 2008, our Australian Shepherd mix, Remax was put to sleep. He had been in failing health for a few years. Ally had convinced us that he wouldn't make it through the winter two or three years ago. That is partly how she got her Jack Russell, Dudley.
He was the cutest little ball of fur when we got him about sixteen years ago. We lived in Pleasant Hill at that time. He was never the friendliest of dogs, but nevertheless he was a part of the family. I don't think he ever bit anyone...maybe he nipped Dave Hilligoss once. But, that was understandable. Remember Dave and and animals don't get along too well. (see previous post about the crazy cat) I'm kidding about Dave not getting along with animals. Oh, I don't think he liked Uncle Cyrl real well either. 'Specially after that nasty little operation that Uncle Cyrl performed on him! It was nice to have a dog around the place that would make unwanted people think twice about bothering the house if we were not home.
After having some strokes, Remax just wasn't the same. In the last few days, he got to where he could hardly get up to walk. The night before he had to be taken away, he got off of the porch and walked out into the yard and lay down. I don't think he moved all night. In the morning, I thought I would just need to dig a hole and bury him. But, there he was, still struggling to get up and live!
I took his yellow blanket and covered him. He stood up, and I picked him up. What once was a sixty-five pound dog was now maybe thirty. I carried him to the truck and took him to Dr. Hartzell. After signing a consent form, I carried him to the door, handed him to a nurse dressed in purple and walked away. I know he was just an animal, but it was still hard to see to drive.
Maybe God gives us animals to help teach life lessons. All of us are travelling the same road when it comes to living and then dying. None of us are getting younger, that is for sure. Oh, well, I actually wasn't planning on this being too sappy of a story. Dudley and Jessie are just happy there is more food for them now. But, there is an empty place on the porch where Remax seemed to live for the past couple of years.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw,how sad for you all...altho' I was always a bit wary of him. Still, having a pet in the family as long as he was makes him a part of life, doesn't it? I will always remember the way you could get him RACING around the house at top speed!!!

Regi said...

That was always so hilarious!! Dad would tell one of us kids to run around the back of the house and hide. Remax caught on that he was supposed to come find us, but Dad would yell "wait, wait, wait" and Remax would sit and wait until Dad yelled "Go!" Then he would take off running around the house at full blast looking for us. He almost always found us too!! He was definitely a protective dog too. If Dad even pretended to be messing aroud with us, Max would get mad and come after Dad. Jessie would stand by with a big grin on her face.

Anonymous said...

What a sad time. Ole Remax in doggie heaven!

Dani said...

The part I remember is when he found us hiding he would try to "bite" us!!!

Connie Lavy said...

Sorry about Remax. I love my pets and I am always sad when their time to leave comes, so I know how you feel. I think animals are here as friends and in older peoples lives a comfort & companion. It is nice to have a pet to love and love you back. I am glad your family has fond memories of Remax.