Thursday, January 29, 2009

PLEASE EXPLAIN!




About two years ago, when Rena nearly left me, I was at home with her and Ally. I called for Ally to come from her room when it looked like Rena was in serious trouble. Ally got into the bed and looked her mom in the face and willed her to keep breathing. A few weeks after that, I found a stuffed animal that looked like Ally's dog, Dudley. I gave it to Ally with a note that tried to let her know that there was a special bond between dads and their youngest child, and that I gave her a lot of credit for her mom still being with us.
Fast forward to Wednesday, January 28, 2009. I was home from work due to a Level 3 snow emergency in our county. My cel phone rang, and when I answered, I heard Ally say in a shaking voice, "I'm OK, Dad, but we were in a bad accident."
I knew she was on her way to Pennsylvania from Florida with people from her school. Knowing of the bad weather, I assumed they had gotten into ice. As I soon found out, they were only minutes from Hobe Sound, Florida on I-95.
To the best of my understanding, here is what happened. Their van containing five people and pulling a utility trailer blew a rear tire in the left lane of the interstate. Skid marks show that it came across the three lanes and into the sandy grass along the road. At this point, it began to roll, apparently completing two rolls. When it came to a stop on its wheels, Ally had been thrown from the van through the side windows. The van teetered precariously, threatening to fall onto its side where Ally had been tossed. Ally told me that when she realized she was out on the ground that she immediately ran away, thinking that the van might roll onto her. She has some scratches from the sand on her lower back.
That was the end of the paragraph because that was the extent of her injuries. The other four people in the van had no more severe injuries than she did.
If I understand correctly, the other occupants were quite concerned for Ally. They saw her walking, looking for a phone so she could call Dad. Luke gave her his phone, she called Dad, and Dad was happy that she started with the words, "I'm OK, Dad!"
So, here's your chance. Explain to me how, what I've just told you, can possibly happen.

8 comments:

Dani said...

I can't explain it but Ally did tell me all she could think of was "calling Dad" the second she realized everyone was O.K. There is just something calming and assuring about calling Dad. "Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I shall rescue you, and you will honor Me" Ps 50:15

Lavy Country said...

There is none - explanation that is. But one thing is for sure - when dad couldn't be there in body (because something tells me you are never far from her heart) - her Heavenly Father was and kept his hand of protection all around her and the others. We are so thankful!

Anonymous said...

Isn't great to believe in God when these kind of things happen? INCREDIBLE! Jason

Janella Thompson said...

Tears are in my eyes as I think about how thankful I am that God took time to look out from His busy Heaven....and saw fit to put his hand around Ally. I have to say when something scary happens to me the first i want to talk to other than my hubby...is my dad. I don't have an explanantion as to how this could all happen and all the kids walk away. But we serve a Heavenly Father that does all things well. I must say, with these 2 big events and some of the others that have happened along your family's path...God must have big plans for you and yours. I am so happy we are family...and I love you all dearly. After all, without Ally who would eat all my pumpkin roll?????

LJL said...

Clarification: Another girl in the vehicle was bruised more than Ally was. Also, Ally probably tumbled out the broken window, rather than being "thrown out".

Anonymous said...

No explanation other than the Hand of God. Amazing!! I, along with many others, am so thankful to our heavenly Father for keeping Ally and the others safe.

Regi said...

Ditto

Unknown said...

What happened to Rena that she nearly left you (for Glory) a few years ago.
You are a writer, Lowell. I have enjoyed your blog very much. Thanks so much for sharing.
George and Linda Kelley