Sunday, March 22, 2009

It's 30 Minutes From Troy

Dad, Dudley and Dumbo
**********
How do I know it's thirty minutes from Troy to 9163 Neff Rd.? Because almost every weekday from as early in my life as I can remember until Dad retired from Hobart Brothers in Troy, Ohio, he got home at 5:30 P.M. He worked 8-5, I believe. I think the word here is "consistent". I knew he was coming home at that time every night, and many times I would ride my green 3-speed bike to the end of Neff Road, turn right on Red River West Grove and meet him at about 5:27. I'd grab hold of the door handle and get a helping hand all the way home at about 35 m.p.h., just in time for a 5:30 arrival.
I couldn't believe it one time when my sister-in-law, Connie Lavy, drove from near our house to Troy in about twenty minutes. I told her that I knew it was thirty because Dad got home at 5:30. Oh, well, not everyone drove like my dad. And, certainly not everyone drives like my sister-in-law!
What is the meaning of this blog entry? Just a small compliment to my father, I guess. He won't be around forever - just like the rest of us, actually. But, he is 88 and still going....not real strong. However, I think consistent is about the perfect word to describe Victor Lavy.
One more memory of Dad for you. This really doesn't follow the theme of consistency...well, maybe it does. Many years ago, I was travelling with Dad to Messiah College in Pennsylvania to pick up my dear sister, Marilyn, from school. I was lying on the back seat half asleep when from the front seat I heard a chorus sung by my father. He was never a soloist, but there was no mistaking the sincerity of the words:
Take this whole world but give me Jesus
Take this whole world but give me Jesus
Take this whole world but give me Jesus
I won't turn back, I won't turn back
Ev'ry bridge is burned behind me
Ev'ry bridge is burned behind me
Ev'ry bridge is burned behind me
I won't turn back, I won't turn back
I'm sure he wouldn't remember that, but I do. Stop in and see him if you get the chance and tell him what he meant to you.
Next time we'll try to talk about Mother and see if there is a word that might best describe her.

6 comments:

Regi said...

This is a really kewl post. Grandpa is such a sweetie! I remember him always taking a walk with us down to the creek. Of course, on the way past the sheep barn we would stop and check out the mulberry tree.

Dani said...

I remember "washing" his hair and his famous words about the cost of my hair washings..."money is not an issue" or something to that affect.

Anonymous said...

i think he took me yion hunting...lol. we may or may not have gotten a big one... :) kewl post. -brutus

p.s. i need to go get him a caro asap. so if im home on spring break next week ill see what i can do. lol.

Lavy Country said...

I remember Grandpa coming home at 5:30. We were standing by the door waiting. He would always put the truck in neutral as he was turning in the drive, shut it off and coast until he came to a stop. Grandma always had dinner ready - the best dinner we ever ate. Consistency definitely describes him. Grandpa would say he wished he could leave us some earthly treasures but I told him he has given us more than money ever could buy. Your influence in my life and your great grandchildren's lives will last forever. Thanks, Grandpa.
Wayne

LJL said...

That is a nice compliment, Wayne. Will try to see that Grandpa gets to read the blog. He gets on the computer some in the library.

Pamela Loxley Drake said...

Beautiful writing, LJ. Absolutely priceless.