Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Marilyn

I met a friend and colleague of my sister, Marilyn, on Facebook recently. In corresponding with her, some old memories of Marilyn came back. Marilyn died on September 29, 1985. I remember thinking that a good title for her biography would have been "Life Begins at 40", for she was forty years of age when she passed away.
I never had a whole lot of time with her - she was away to college when I was quite young and then on to New Guinea and other parts of the world. She had a great laugh and was a great writer, teacher and friend to many people.
Here's the poem entitled To My Sister that I wrote in her honor in October, 1985.
From the mountains of Adirondack
To the plains of the Midwest
There you found your loved one
The ending of your quest
Then came two beautiful young ones
They came your lives to bless
They were full of life
And perhaps some mischievousness
Then you made your way across the sea
To a different kind of land
And certainly through it all
You could see God's leading hand
You helped many a lost one
And we know you did your best
The lost multitudes to aid
And from Satan's dark hand wrest
Now you've made your greatest journey yet
You'll travel past the farthest star
And we are here left behind
To mourn but from afar
But while we mourn we'll not forget
That while we here remain
Some day we'll cross to be with you
And together with Him we'll reign
So now we make this solemn vow
We'll neither stop nor hesitate
We'll stay true to His dear name
And meet you by the Eastern Gate
Thanks, Linda, for bringing back some memories of my sister.

4 comments:

Regi said...

man, you could write back then too!

Anonymous said...

Good stuff! It is good to remember her. Jason

Beth said...

I don't remember a lot about her. But I still miss her very much.

Pamela Loxley Drake said...

Thanks, LJ. I miss Marilyn.