Saturday, May 23, 2009

Michigan 2009

A beautiful cluster of four morels

Grandpa, Brent and I took a quick mushroom-hunting trip to Wolverine, Michigan. We left our house at 2:55AM last Tuesday. We were in the woods at 9:08AM. Sixty seconds later, we had our first morel mushroom. After a day and a half of hunting, we finished with 180.
Dad started this madness in 1958 when he took the family north to find sponge mushrooms for the first time. Fifty-one years later, I got to take him to the very same woods to which he took us many years earlier. We still find them in almost exactly the same areas.
In 1960 - give or take a year or two - Dad took his mother and father to Michigan. Grandma Lavy, Dad's mother, found a patch of mushrooms in an area near Old 27. For many years after, we hunted that same spot and found mushrooms nearly every year. In recent years, we have not found them there. However, this year Brent and I searched that spot. We were about ready to give up when BJ spotted two small ones on the edge of a dirt bike trail. That caused us to look more closely, and we found sixteen in that patch. That was very near Grandma's spot. That was amazing to me.
If Grandpa (who will be 89 next September) is able, we may try it again in 2010. As he said, "I'm making no promises." None of us are, but what a treat for the three of us this year! Dad and I at the roadside park where he stopped in 1958 What a smile! Dad in the woods that he loves. That's a start Grandma was happy to see Grandpa come back. No, seriously, she was!

3 comments:

Janella Thompson said...

Precious memories...I am sure it means alot to you, having these moments with your dad. I don't think I would have the patience to go mushroom hunting but I am sure you get to enjoy alot of God's creation looking for things and seeing little things the rest of us look over in this hurried life. So happy your still making memories

Regi said...

Gramps looks so happy!!!

Pamela Loxley Drake said...

What a sweet picture. You make me very happy knowing you take Victor year after year. You are a good man, LJ.