Thursday, November 15, 2007

The First One

Dec. 27, several years ago was cold and wintry. I was in bed eating cashews and minding my own business at about 11:00 at night. My peaceful evening was shattered when Rena announced it was time to go to the hospital to see about getting our firstborn kid. I drove to the hospital hurriedly not knowing that I would have to endure more than eight hours of labor before I got my first kid. I guess it was probably a long night for Rena, too.
Finally, at 7:46A.M. on Dec. 28, The Hedgehog arrived. Now, I have no idea where the Hedgehog came from. Well, I know where she came from, but how she got the name is beyond me. All the kids have nicknames, as you will see in the coming LavyKids stories. She was Redgehog the Hedgehog and greatly loved. And the first thing I noticed about her were her long, purple fingers!
Let's fast-forward eighteen months. In the tub is Regina shaving her legs and bleeding all over the place. She wasn't trying to be like me, I can tell you that!
She was strong when she was little and still is. I could hold her by placing my hands on her calves, raising her above my head, and she could hold her body straight, parallel to the ground. I could also hang her by her hands on the back of the pew in front of us at church.
Finally, we find ourselves in Branson, Mo. on vacation. Regi is racing go-carts around The Track. When it was time to come off the track, she did. The accelerator and brake were both mashed to the floor. Into the pits she raced and knocked about three parked carts out on to the track. She still drives a little bit like that.
There is just not enough time or space to tell all about the Hedgehog. There may be some other memories that her sisters or brother or even her cousins can dredge up.
Guess which kid is going to be featured in our next visit. Yep, here comes The Bellehog!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I well remember those days when Regi was a wiry, active toddler!! We have film of her pushing a big box around our living room in Dayton when she was only 10 months old - running everywhere!! How does time fly so fast? I enjoy your blog, brother-in-law.

Regi said...

Yeah, well I've never had a ticket so don't make fun of my driving!!!! And you missed the part of about me walking at 9 months. I am sure it had something to do with the torture of hanging on the back of pews during service. I discovered I could just walk away from you. You really must put my name for Bellehog on the blog. I think it was definitely more original!