Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A Phone Call, An Offering and A Massage

Before I get to deep into the LavyKids stories, let me tell you about three memories. In the 70's and 80's, I was privileged to teach in a small Christian school, Tabernacle Christian School(TCS). Not every memory from there is pleasant, but that is not what this is about.
One day while at school, I called my mother for some reason. In those days, we had a party line (three or four neighbors having the same phone line is probably the best way to describe it). When I called her, the phone somehow rang at our next-door neighbor, Margaret's house at the same time as it did at our house. Both Margaret and Mother said hello at the same time. I spoke with Mother for a minute and then hung up. Apparently, they spoke after that for several minutes, both wondering why the other called. I don't think either ever figured out what happened, but they still had a nice conversation without even meaning to talk to each other that day. Old country neighbors...now we don't even know our neighbor's names, it seems.
While teaching at TCS, I had occasion to have all of my nieces and nephews in school at one time or the other. That is a fond memory for me. Soon before my marriage to the former Rena Collingsworth, I asked Paul Lavy and Kevin Lavy to ask their fathers, Merrill and Don, to be ushers in our wedding. One of them ( not sure which one) went home and proudly told his father, "Uncle Lowell wants you to take up the offering at his wedding." That would have been very nice of them if they had passed the plates for us!
Here is one final memory for you from my teaching days. In her English PACE, a student of mine was required to write a thank-you note to the pastor. When asked to check her writing, here is the note that I found. "Dear Pastor, Thank you for the massage on Sunday. It was very good. Love, Debbie."
Well, there you have some of my memories. See you next time when we may remember Aug 2, 1980. That's Wedding Day if you didn't know .

9 comments:

Dani said...

Lol, I dont think I ever heard any of those memories

Lavy Country said...

Welcome to Blogville! I remember the usher story.
Wayne

Regi said...

Oh brother! A trip down memory lane...but it was a good one. You definitely need some pics!

Anonymous said...

Good stuff! I don't remember a massage when I went to ACE!!!! Bummer!

Paul and Candy said...

That was funny, I think I might be entertained by your blog. It is always fun to find out things about your husband that you didn't know!

Candy

Amy said...

Hmmm this could be scary. Welcome to to Blogspot.
amy

Beth said...

Welcome to Blog world

Paul and Candy said...

Uncle Lowell
I have a lot of good memeries with Lowell and Rena. Do you remember when I stayed overnight and dinner did not agree with me? I believe that was in Dayton and there was a big picture of a bicycle on the wall near your apartment.

Love Paul

LJL said...

Yes, I do remember the little sick kid. I think there may have been too many cookies consumed.